Monday 9 October 2023

What is it all for, anyway?

 

What is it all for, anyway?

She was 18 and went into labor prematurely. The people in the Kibbutz in Israel chose to send her to the hospital with a tractor instead of the horses. I arrived in the world. I couldn’t speak or do anything else, and I was naked. As hard as I tried, I could never remember that time. All I know is that I accumulated things.

A few years later we lived on a farm and a couple of my parents’ friends visited from the city with their boy, who was roughly my age. Our parents had us in my room and took all my toys out for us to play with. Arick, the other boy, started to sort my toys. He took them one by one, looked at them, and placed the nicest ones behind him, saying, “This is mine”. The cheap and broken toys he left on the floor beside me. I tried to get some back, and he pushed me hard, saying, “It’s mine”. My mom came in and saw tears in my eyes. What’s the matter she said? In the voice of a three-year-old, I explained, Arick is taking all my toys. I didn’t have many.

He had my wooden truck, my stuffed vinyl dog, Pluto, I used to sleep with, and a few more. Don’t worry said mom, he will not take them home. I was worried, and I wanted to play with my toys right now, but my mom told me to be quiet. I was learning one of the biggest lessons that we learn in this life. The world wasn’t fair. Later on, my mom cut the cake she made and gave Arick a bigger piece with more icing. I said I didn’t want cake, so he ate mine as well. So much for peaceful protest.

Life went on. When I was sixteen, my family emigrated to Canada while Arick and his family stayed in Israel. I started a new life accumulating things and knowledge. Arick remained in Israel and was killed in the next war. He was my best childhood friend. I felt guilty, but being a minor, I had to go where my parents went. My dad fought a few wars for Israel. I tried to join the Canadian army, but they couldn’t take me before I was a citizen. I settled for civilian life and, like everyone else, accumulated things. Luckily, for me, a priest I knew, convinced me to upgrade my education. Those were the good years in Alberta when Peter Lougheed was premier. Higher education was available cheaply, and we were building an educated workforce.

I earned a university degree, studied in a technical college, and worked hard for promotions that came one after another. My health wasn’t the best and again, luckily for me, the country accepted universal health care. Now came the period we call middle life. Building a home, raising kids, upgrading vehicles, and trying my damnedest to keep up with the ever-changing world.

A few years later, the now-advanced medical discoveries, saved my life. The doctors implanted a top-of-the-line Pacemaker Defibrillator in my chest, which gave me an extended warranty period. I was alive, but not young again. The question popped into my mind: why am I alive? I can no longer reproduce, and nature doesn’t keep creatures around when they don’t contribute to the genetic pool. Why are we alive?

My generation attempted to solve many human problems. We had the longest period without a major war. Went to the moon, prolonged natural life, saved for the later part of life, and gave human rights to some minority groups, the biggest of them women.

Now the Catholic Church is considering women clergy, and women in politics are common. Sadly, they are becoming like men instead of gracing society with a feminine perspective. My female premier is fighting against measures designed to improve our chance to remain alive on our only planet. She is enticing people with greed. The old Pope is working to convince us to do what we can to prolong human existence.

Did God allow me an additional lifetime to join the fight? My priorities are my family, my faith, and my country. None will survive if we don’t act decisively now. Are old insignificant people like me expected to fight for the world? Where are the young people?

Young people have robust bodies and accumulate things as we did. They look for new experiences and security that they rarely have. Old people know that the Universal Mind doesn’t act on words. The world is unfair. God senses emotions and intentions. We, the old people, now with extended lives have those.

At the end of life, when we will go back naked as when we were born, we no longer do all things for ourselves. That is when we are honest and send the right messages to the invisible mind that formed and controls the universe.

Prayers can work better than physical effort, but only when originated in the right way. Fear, unconditional love, self-sacrifice, and other pure emotions influence reality.

I honor all religions and see something good in all major political ideas. Life is a gift of time in which I can get things and give them away. I can make changes with emotions and intentions. I can’t explain how.

Here is a link to my blog: https://thesimpleravenspost.blogspot.ca/  Feel free to check other articles and comment.

Note: The above article was written before the latest war began.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new Human.

  A new Human. Some time ago I was listening to a past American president's campaign speech. He was threatening harm to people who did...