Monday 30 October 2023

Realities.

 

 Realities.

What can be truer than reality? I see it and I believe it. Courts function on that principle. If a crime was committed, we search for eyewitnesses, or lately for camera footage showing what really happened. As I was growing up and learning to be a human being (we all do) science also grew. Humans materialized some of the greatest scientific discoveries just before I came to earth. I admired the people who were famous for their discoveries, like Albert Einstein in science and the Mahatma Gandhi in politics.

Just recently, people, or I should say, influential thinkers, began to question what we learned and took for granted. Some of it came from studying old writings that were not available until lately. Perhaps it was available but not understood. For example, in the beginning, there was the word, and the word was God.

How can God be a word? One likely explanation is: A word is an idea. Could it be that those who wrote the bible considered God to be an idea? There is no reason to believe that they didn’t. God can be anything, any place, at any time.

There are people now seriously doubting that reality itself is what we always thought it is. I touched upon this before in other articles. Life could be a dream. Some dreams are ridiculous and we know we are dreaming. Some can be so real that we don’t know they are dreams until we wake up. One philosopher said that all of life is a dream from which we wake up only a few times to know that it is a dream. We don’t have to wake up. Possibly when we die, we wake up.

It is possible that we exist only in the material world, and we are material beings. We could be like a caterpillar that turns into a cocoon, dies, and from it emerges a beautiful butterfly.  

Now there is a new idea becoming popular. My generation is shifting away from traditional religious beliefs and exploring new ways to understand our innate connection to a higher power beyond material things. Our senses, visual, hearing, touch, smell and so on — only detect what is in light or exists because of light. There is a side that we call “dark”, but only because we can’t see in it.

A bat, for example, doesn’t see in light the way we do. It uses ultrasonic sounds to see and exists very well. Much more of our universe is a dark matter than that which we see. The possibilities of life forms existing in it out of our spectrum are endless. A life form may be nothing like we are used to. It can be invisible to us, and we may, but not necessarily, be invisible to it.

One theory that now is the subject of many books appeals to me most. It became popular with the movie, The Matrix. We could be existing in the mind of a computer or a biological entity, that makes up our existence to be real to us.

All of what we call reality is orchestrated in our brains. What I see is visible in light. My eyes collect bits of light, converting them to electrical signals traveling in my skull to my brain. The brain interprets those signals into pictures that I use for creating my reality in my conscience. I learned to create reality with all its beauty and ugliness, and I do so all the time. It’s like the ultimate virtual reality, but we don’t know who started it and why.

To know more about reality, we first must answer the question, who we are. Sounds easy, but it’s not so. At church, we say my body or my soul. We admit that I am not either. If it’s mine then it can’t be me. Then, who are we?

I go back to the biblical story about Moses asking God to tell him His name. God said “I am” who I am. The bible often mentions that someone who died went to be with his past generations. His fathers. It could be his mothers also depending on how we interpret it.

I always lived in my reality, never doubting it. As I said, I see it, so I believe it. Other people say and do things that seem strange to me. The world is constantly in conflict between good and evil, but we disagree with which is which.

As I get older, I realize more and more that there is more than one reality for humans. It strikes me as impossible, yet it happens. As far as I can understand, people convince themselves that something is a reality. When we do, it is impossible to change. After all, each of us thinks, how can we change reality?

Here is a link to my blog: https://thesimpleravenspost.blogspot.ca/  Feel free to check other articles and comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new Human.

  A new Human. Some time ago I was listening to a past American president's campaign speech. He was threatening harm to people who did...