Tuesday 11 October 2022

Love Canada as it is.

 

 Love Canada as it is.

When I go to Lethbridge or Calgary, I often encounter people who notice my license plate with The Crowsnest Pass and start a conversation.

I was sitting in my truck, not wanting to go into a store since I have COVID, and a motorcycle parked beside me. The rider, a middle-aged man, asked me, “how is it to live in such a nice place?” “I am used to it.” I replied, “been there for some 20 years.” He said he should have moved there when he was young. I moved in when I retired I replied, you can still do it. “My neighbor did it,” he said. “I heard that the people there dislike outsiders;” he continued. “That’s not what I see,” I replied. “They resist changing the place into a city that the people move away from when they come here. There are many cities but only one Crowsnest Pass. That is our selling point. The unique character together with the scenery makes the place what it is. It is one of the friendliest places I have ever experienced.” The man took a minute to think and went on. All of Canada is going to the dogs, he said. We must get rid of Trudeau. There is nothing easier than that, I said. We live in a democracy and we can vote him out at any time. Don’t you agree? We had an election a year ago and the Liberals are in. I would prefer Chrystia Freeland, who is from Alberta, I added. “Trudeau is wrecking the country.” He mumbled.

Now I am not a political science major or an economist, but I listen to the news on election days. Two provinces dominate elections here since they have the most people. They don’t have to win the popular votes, only win the most seats in parliament. Members of each political party choose who will lead them and the country. I don’t know if it’s the best way, but it’s working and we can change it if we want. It is obvious that most Canadians choose Liberals to be their representatives in each riding. Liberals are choosing Trudeau to lead since he is winning. The Conservatives keep changing their leaders who do not win.

I tell my new biker friend another politician will replace Trudeau, so he switches over to another classical western complaint. “Trudeau is blocking pipelines so we can’t sell our oil.” Wrong again,” I say. “Trudeau took a political risk and bought the Trans Mountain pipeline to keep work going on it when the business case was weak and Alberta didn’t have jobs.” Biker now is grasping at straws. Justin Trudeau is going to kill seniors with the carbon tax.

Sorry, I say, half the provinces have their own carbon pricing and the feds are returning what seniors are paying in carbon tax. It was Stephen Harper’s idea. Before I departed, Mr. biker also told me that COVID is a hoax. My chest hurt like hell from COVID, but I just smiled and drove away.

A few days later, a biker passed me on the wrong side by the town of Frank. It looked like his bike and I remembered my encounter in Lethbridge. By now, things have changed. OPEC announced cutting oil production to increase energy prices. Seniors on fixed incomes will feel the cold and will reduce their food and medical expenses not just in poor countries but also in Europe and America. I may have to wear long underwear like I did when I was little. The increase in energy prices will probably not improve my situation. I may have to reduce the number of times I see my family if gas prices go much higher.

The cash infusion to the Russian economy from increased energy prices will prolong the war in Ukraine. Alberta will also make more money, but there is no plan to use it to improve the lives of ordinary Albertans. All that the newly elected Premier promised is to fight Ottawa for the province’s sovereignty. It happens all over the world where there is a province with natural resources not willing to share with the rest of the country.

I remember 2014 and the situation in Ukraine. The eastern provinces have gas and Ukraine and Russia originally built most of the industry in the Soviet era. Russians moved in to take jobs just as easterners here moved to Alberta. Next came a push well financed by Russia to have more sovereignty and join the Russian Federation. Now we have a big war with thousands of casualties and great destruction.

What Quebec and Alberta must understand is that a small province can’t separate from the big country without another big country taking them over. Every divorce must deal with custody issues and the kids always suffer.

I chose Alberta to be my place and lived here longer than most people around. I chose a line of work that was needed in the province and contributed all the time that I spent here. My efforts helped shape the place, and I never gave it a poor reputation. The potential I saw in it still exists and our kids are now carrying on with the work. The province grew and became a destination known around the world. It always needed to change, but the direction change takes is a choice that we make.

In the later years, people who had agendas other than what is good for regular Albertans took over the helm, and even the remote Crowsnest Pass was hit by politicians’ greed for power. Hating Canada became a goal for some. I don’t like it. Canada is a great place, Alberta is a great place, and we can and will make it even better. If anyone hasn’t noticed, look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new Human.

  A new Human. Some time ago I was listening to a past American president's campaign speech. He was threatening harm to people who did...